Blog is a very important tool for a business to engage with their customers and refresh their brand name.
Why should I start a blog for my Business ?
- Blog is simple to manage just login and copy paste text from MS work and on hitting publish its visible on the top of the page. Its that simple.
- It servers as a easy to connect platform for your customer to get engaged in timely relevant information from your company. If you leave the comments ON you customers can interact with you.
- Your website must already be rigidly designed so no place for adding more contents on a regular basis nor you might not have a web designer in-house. But blog does it effortlessly and in a somewhat informal way.
- Search engines love blogs. Google loves WordPress. You start a WordPress blog and in no time google will list it and even rank it. Its because blogs are content centric and rigid websites are graphics centric.
- An article stated websites with blogs attract 60% more customers and there is truth to it based on our own experience. The customer sees a friendlier side of the company through the blog so easy for human connect
- Blog is the cannon fodder of your online visibility. Good contents will get social bookmarks and in no time will shoot your site higher in popularity on social media.
- Our recommendation is you write not about yourself boasting how well you did the job but write how you were able to solve a clients problem. It helps for prospective clients to connect with the situation and you getting the next order.
- Promote yourself as a subject expert. This is different from point 7 because you also need to boasting about yours but tread a thin line between polite and arrogance.
- People don’t like boring blogs of companies. Next time there is a birthday party in office don’t just post it on Facebook but also post some pics on your blog. Giving a human side to a business is very important.
- Use SkyWeb platform for your clients to interact with you in Public that way you get comments, reviews and feedback in a subtle manner without in your face kind of a thing.
- Use it to put across new worthy things in your industry even awards and accolades your company has won or your principle vendors have won to give you blog more authority. Even here awards addition to website are not easy but to a blog its instant.
- Writing a blog saves you BIG BUCKS !!!… want to know how ??? you save on paying to a shabby content writer and and SEO export. because you blogging frequently about your business automatically promotes you as a content marketer for your company.
- Frequent and meaningful and focused blogging created free PR for your business where people start quoting your blog posts in linkedin and other business linked media networks. It also helps to establish the business owner as a brand. Good bloggers are often called to give lectures on their domain topic often. Great way to promote your business absolutely free.
- Stay ahead of the curve. The more you blog the more you will do research on the topic of your business interest and make people follow you from your business to understand current trends and making you a authority on the subject.
- Blog is your long term marketing asset. If you write contents which is ever green means relevant even 5 years from now. People will read it 5 years from now and you get new followers each day even if content was written a longtime back. So when you write always remember this important point.
- Use Google Analytics to find what people are watching on your blog. You might soon discover a trend which you could further exploit it for your business before your competitors realise it.
First start with checking if the domain name available
How your hosting company can affect your SEO efforts.
Strangely but true your hosting company affects a lot on your rankings. Its not that choosing a premium one can boost your ranking its the other way around. As choosing the wrong one can ruins it… LOL
So think again of the cheap hosting companies offering you cheap deals or even free hosting.
Now let me explain how.
- Google algorithm keeps changing and there is a multi million dollar business in guessing whats coming next. So all parameters are vital even ones previously not heard about. So don’t take thinks lightly.
- Good neighbourhood. If your IP is the same as some gambling sites or adult entertainment sites or fraud make rich quick sites then your ranking gets affected.
- Good ratio of sites : A shared hosting server can host thousands of websites but companies which overload them by hosting unlimited packages where few customers gobble up all the bandwidth and rest keep gasping for Air is a bad idea. You can check the site performance by pinging your domain name to find latency. Google crawler hates overloaded servers.
- Fast loading websites. Does your hosting company offer cloud-flare and page accelerator applications. If not switch over.
- Server security : With cheap hosting comes cheaper server admins. If your site gets affected by malware or hacking your ranking can tumble down. So it pays to pay more for a premium service.
- Multiple affected sites on the same server. Is when the server admin is not able to handle the load or doesn’t have the caliber to manage his work in which case IP address of server gets blacklisted and even if your site is not affected you get penalised.
I am not drawing a conclusion like many others that you need to buy a dedicated or a VPS server. Its about 200 times more expensive and that’s what most hosting companies want to sell to you.
A shared hosting company is still good but don’t got for the cheapest one and easily can find their track record.
10 things you should do if switching to a new domain name
There were days when only .com .net and .org were available. And really good names available with exact match or the next best one because if low internet penetration and prices being very high approx US$80 for a year.
.com was a norm if .org was bought it was considered of an NGO and not a business and it grew to the pint 250+ characters domain name were allowed… hey great for SEO work where a long tail keyword set could be woven in a single domain name giving it relevance. But over time search engines realized it was more misused and user experience had depreciated because of these domain coming up on top with just doorway pages and no real content.
With the opening up of Gtld’s which were geographic in nature like .in, co.uk,. com.cn .us and now each country on the globe has one followed by recent introduction of niche domain names the list is long and ever growing.
A company who earlier had a compromised long domain name now can get an exact match which is better for their brands.
As part of search engine ranking algorithm domain name age is also a crucial factor in ranking. The Link Juice which is essentially good high quality back links are associated with the old domain name.
The worry of the webmaster is Will I lose all the credibility I got for the old site over years when switching to the new domain name ?
- Check domain history of the new domain name.
chances are it might be a new but always good to check WHOIS and waybachmachine to check any history of spamming and blocking by google.
- Take full backup of your website so in an event of files not transferred you don’t lose critical data. In Cpanel there is an option for full backup which you can download and keep on a remote computer to access even if old hosting account is deleted.
- Don’t delete the old site if you can. Even if the old site is not working you can keep it on the net accessible via a hosts file in your windows computer c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc file name is “hosts” you just have to make an entry of the domain name with its IP address and without any one accessing it you can access the site from your computer.
- CMS applications have plugins to help in migration but if site is custom built especially with MSSQL its not an easy thing to move the db from 1 server to another on the fly so do use a web developer’s help in the migration process.
- prepare an excel sheet with 2 columns. Old URL’s and new URL’s just in case of a problem. But most of the time a 301 redirect script code snippet can do the job for the entire site. Chances are you might need to change page names of some files so for that this excel sheet will be of major value. So its a bit time consuming but for a 50 pages site its a must.
- Create the 301 redirect with the above table so you don’t miss out on any URL There are many software tools available which you can pass your old URL’s in a batch file to find if anyone is missing. a 404 error is bad for a site and link juice flow.
- Domain use meta refresh tag for redirecting pages on old site. Looks simple but it blocks the link juice transfer only use the 301 redirect.
- Using the excel sheet pass it trough an XML sitemap builder to get a list with new URL mentioned in it. That way submission to Google Search Console would be easier.
- Update your Google local business listing with the new domain URL in it.
- Login to bling webmaster tools and submit your new URL. For Google and Bling (even yahoo uses bling) you will need to authenticate the domain name by adding a Meta tag or by adding a DNS entry with the tag.